I’ve recently finished reading Crystal Paine’s (MoneySavingMom.com) soon to be released book, Say Goodbye to Survival Mode. One of the most important steps to getting out of survival mode, which I’ve been living in at least partially for a couple of years now, is to set goals.
So, I’ve been thinking about what things about my current state are making me unhappy. Are my priorities out of line? I won’t say that I’ve completely let me priorities slide, but I have let some less important things get in the way of what my priorities are (or should be). And although, I have a lot of things organized, I’ve lost sight of my purpose.
I’ve been thinking about mission statements and purpose statements and I was getting nowhere. But then I realized I know my purpose.
It’s the first question and answer in the Westminster Shorter Catechism.
1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.
I Cor. 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
So that is the lens that I need to look through when I evaluate the things that I am doing.
- Does this activity bring glory to God?
- Am I glorifying God in all my actions?
I am setting some goals for the new year. But these will be evolving. I want to work on building some habits for myself, so I don’t want to try to add too many things at once, or it will be counter-productive.
Here are the categories that I am dividing my goals.
1. Continue with daily Bible reading. I am so excited to report, that I made the goal to read the New Testament during the month of December, and I have almost completed that goal!
2. Focus on scripture memory with daily practice using Scripture Typer. I have recently started using ScriptureTyper.com and it is a fantastic way for me to study and review.
1. Get children started on schoolwork before 9 am. Enforce the use of the checklist for the younger students.
1. Start a consistent exercise routine. I have learned from experience, that the only way I can get this to work is to get up early and go to the Y. So in order to do that I need to….
2. Get to bed on time!
3. Continue looking at ways to improve our family’s eating habits. Continue researching how to implement a gluten-free diet with tentative plans to begin a trial during February and March.
1. Block out specific, focused times of day to complete work tasks for SchoolhouseTeachers.com.
2. Publish 3 blog posts per week.
This post is shared on Let’s Homeschool High School.
Read more New Year’s Goals posts by some of my friends.