We are starting Tapestry of Grace Year 3 next week! At the end of last year I did some thinking about our accomplishments for the year and one of the things we didn’t do very well was history. (That’s really an understatement. But I did have a baby, so I’m trying to be generous.) I thought about trying a new history curriculum, but I kept coming back to TOG. I love the way it integrates history with literature, Bible/Church History, and geography. I like the hands-on activity ideas. But I really had failed to implement it well in our home last year. (Honestly, we hadn’t done so well the year before either.)
So I made a deal with myself (and my husband). Before I went looking for a different curriculum for us, I was going to give TOG one more shot. A really good shot. I was going to plan, plan, plan this summer. I was going to get EVERYTHING figured out ahead of time. I wanted to do this because it certainly had not worked as a “pick up and go” curriculum for us.
But, summer has a way of flying by. I blinked and it was August. It was time to get serious about this planning stuff. I have been working hard this week, and I am very happy to report that I have thoroughly prepared for Unit 1. Here is what I’ve done.
(I purchased the Digital Edition (DE) for the first time this year. These steps include printing the pages I desired to have printed.)
1. Read through the Year Introduction.
2. Made a spreadsheet with all the resources used in year 3. (Downloaded from the website.)
3. Highlighted all the books on the list that I already owned.
4. Went through the list again and checked the on-line library catalog highlighting all the books from the list available from the library.
5. Printed the Teaching Objective, Weekly Overview, and Reading Assignment pages for every week of the year plan.
6. Placed all of the above in sheet protectors.
7. Read through the Weekly Overview and Reading Assignment pages with Sharpie in hand, marking the books that we had or could borrow from the library.
8. Determined which resources we should buy. Marked those on the pages.
Starting here, I’ve just done the first unit.
9. Went through each week in Unit 1 and typed the reading assignments I have selected for my dialectic students. (Yes, they could just use the notebook, but I use some alternate resources, and throw in some upper grammar assignments instead of dialectic ones so it can get confusing.)
10. Cut and pasted the assignments and relevant questions (adding space to write the answers) from the student assignment pages into the same document as the reading list. Printed out copies of the list for each student.
11. Printed page 1 of the Student Assignment pages for the first 9 weeks.
12. Printed the maps for the weeks that we are using them.
13. Printed the Lower grammar literature worksheets that we are using.
That’s where I sit. I need to decide how to store all the pre-printed papers. I don’t want to 3-hole punch the maps, so I’m not sure what I’ll end of doing with those.
That’s my Wrap-up for this week! Be sure to visit Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers for more weekly reports.